Tuesday, October 11, 2005

42 1 Peter 3:7 'Safe Relationships'

JMD Devotional 42 1 Peter 3:7 'Safe Relationships'

Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.

I've heard a husband scold his wife for concealing the truth; and were that the whole story, we could form a quick opinion along the lines of lying is wrong, half-truths are still lies, deceit is not right, etc. But what if the controlling and overbearing nature of the husband does not make it safe for those around him to be truthful? If he tends to be over critical and react harshly to household matters that come up (i.e. EXPLODES!); no matter how 'truthful' he may be he bears responsibility for his influence in forming the climate and culture of deceit. I have, in my worst days, been there. If people aren't telling you the truth, check yourself to ensure your reactive patterns don't foster exactly what you get.

Dear God,
How can I end up so wrong when I strive to be so right? Forgive me for thrashing around relationally, and for not being sensitive and gentle when problems arise. I keep welding the mallet of principles when I really should just be listening to and affirming my loved ones. Teach me how to be like Jesus, who did not break a reed, nor did He quench a smoking flax. Help me to remember tenderly that my loved ones have fragile spirits. Please continue to repair the damage I've done, and heal what has been done to me as well.
Amen

All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to
my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:

My Poetry

http://saintjamespoetry.blog.com/

(Some) of my Devotionals

http://recoverydevotional.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home