Monday, November 14, 2005

58 Deuteronomy 31:20,21 Song of Moses Part 1

JMD Devotional 58 Deuteronomy 31: 20, 21 Song of Moses Part 1

For when I have brought them into the land which I swore to their fathers, a land flowing with milk and honey, and they have eaten and filled themselves and become fat, then they will turn to other gods and serve them, and despise and scorn Me and break My covenant. And when many evils and troubles have befallen them, this [sacred] song will confront them as a witness, for it will never be forgotten from the mouths of their descendants. For I know their strong desire and the purposes which they are forming even now, before I have brought them into the land which I swore to give them.

Rebellion has deep roots in the heart of man. Like a weed that breaks off easily at its base, but grows back quickly to ruin the garden; we change or block our bad behaviors but have difficulty addressing the underlying motives. The latent sickness of the soul poses a risk that is never fully over come this side of eternity. We can at best keep it in check (like chess) through accountability, openness, and spiritual disciplines.

Dear God,
Prone to wander, Lord I feel it, prone to leave the God I love. How I hate admitting that I am not reliable, faithful, good or trustworthy! Lord, I need your holy influence active in my life to make me better than I am. You are the greatest part of me!
Amen

All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to
my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:

My Poetry

http://saintjamespoetry.blog.com/

(Some) of my Devotionals

http://recoverydevotional.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home