Tuesday, December 20, 2005

84 Psalm 90:3,4 Millennial Sabbath Theory recovery devotional

JMD Devotional 84 Psalm 90:3,4 Millennial Sabbath Theory

You turn man back to dust and corruption, and say, Return, O sons of the earthborn [to the earth]!
For a thousand years in Your sight are but as yesterday when it is past, or as a watch in the night.

2 Peter 3:8 Nevertheless, do not let this one fact escape you, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day.

It is not much to go on, just these two verses in scripture; but from these originate the Millennial Sabbath Theory. First century Apostolic Fathers Barnabas, Justin, Irenaeus and Hippolytus all interpreted these passages to indicate that God's overall plan for mankind was consummated in one divine week. Seven days, each a thousand years, concluding with a Millennial Sabbath. That would give us two thousand years before the Law (Age of Innocence) (Abraham being the herald via covenant), two thousand years under the Law ending with the Crucifixion of Jesus Christ, and two thousand years under the Age of Grace (Saved by Faith) which is coming to a close. Then comes the thousand year rest described in Revelation. I have always felt like I was born just before the curtains closed on life as we know it. One shouldn't be dogmatic on something so lightly supported, it is just a theory, but for me it helps make sense of many other passages.

Dear God,
I don't know when You will return for your people, it may or may not be in my lifetime, but it will come. I am filled with anxious hope and dread; I want righteousness to reign on the Earth, but I dread not having accomplished everything Jesus wants me to do. I know I need to warn people of coming judgment. Help me to be faithful; and may eternal hope keep me pure and committed, for your kingdom and glory. Please hasten the Day.
Amen

All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to
my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:

My Poetry

http://saintjamespoetry.blog.com/

(Some) of my Devotionals

http://recoverydevotional.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home