Wednesday, December 14, 2005

74 2 Corinthians 12:8-10 Divine Strength recovery devotional

JMD Devotional 74 2 Corinthians 12:8-10 Divine Strength

I have to thank a classmate, Marcus, who helped inspire this devotional through a lively debate last night. The topic of conversation was the physical condition of the Pope; people were wondering aloud how a man who could barely hold up his head could lead the Church. While I am not a Roman Catholic, many of my friends are and I respect their traditions. These thoughts came to light:
“God’s strength is made perfect in human weakness (2 Corinthians 12:9), and a Christian should have no confidence in the flesh (Philippians 3:3)” . When we are in our prime physically and mentally, we are apt to rely on our own resources. Man’s vain intellectualism is responsible for much of the world’s evil. But when we are humbled by our own deficits, it is then that we are most receptive to receiving help and guidance, especially that of the Lord. So, perhaps it is now, in his current frail condition that he may in fact do his best work. The truth applies to all of us.

Below is the Amplified rendering of this familiar passage: (Paul’s begging God to remove the thorn in his flesh, the cause of his weakness)

Three times I called upon the Lord and besought [Him] about this and begged that it might depart from me; But He said to me, My grace (My favor and loving-kindness and mercy) is enough for you [sufficient against any danger and enables you to bear the trouble manfully]; for My strength and power are made perfect (fulfilled and completed) and show themselves most effective in [your] weakness. Therefore, I will all the more gladly glory in my weaknesses and infirmities, that the strength and power of Christ (the Messiah) may rest (yes, may pitch a tent over and dwell) upon me! So for the sake of Christ, I am well pleased and take pleasure in infirmities, insults, hardships, persecutions, perplexities and distresses; for when I am weak in human strength], then am I [truly] strong (able, powerful in divine strength).
Dear God,
Thank you for discrediting and breaking down every idol, the most dangerous one being myself. The failure of my own mind and will and ways forced me to look to You for help. May your Holy Spirit be the source of my understanding and strength for your glory and kingdom’s sake.
Amen

All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to
my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:

My Poetry

http://saintjamespoetry.blog.com/

(Some) of my Devotionals

http://recoverydevotional.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home