Wednesday, December 14, 2005

72 Isaiah 57"14,15 Clearing the Way recovery devotional

JMD Devotional 72 Isaiah 57:14,15 Clearing the Way

And the word of One shall go forth, Cast up, cast up, prepare the way! Take up the stumbling block out of the way [of the spiritual return] of My people. For thus says the high and lofty One--He Who inhabits eternity, Whose name is Holy: I dwell in the high and holy place, but with him also who is of a thoroughly penitent and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble and to revive the heart of the thoroughly penitent [bruised with sorrow for sin].

Religion is man's attempts to reach and appease God by our own means; Christianity is God coming into our world and providing salvation and doing for us what we were totally incapable of accomplishing. The contrast is clear: the pride of man's invention Vs the humility of accepting charity. Pride is our biggest stumbling block.

Dear God,
You are so high above me; perfect in righteousness, terrifying in power, missing nothing in your judgment, exercising absolute thoroughness about every detail. By contrast, I am poor and retched, wearing filthy rags of contrived 'righteousness', inadequate, needy, a worm. I am not sincere and consistent; I am a reluctant 'saint' who constantly kicks against the ox goads. Sometimes my heart is filled with the bile of bitter hatred and envy against my neighbor. I am weak and full of wayward impulses. I am a liar, a back-biter, a fraud. In spite of my shortcomings I persist as a proud and arrogant individual; resistant to instruction and correction. I am altogether unlovable by any human standard were I completely known. Yet You are the only one who knows my heart completely, and while I was drowning in my own sin and rebellion You chose to love me, rescue me and restore me. You paid a billion times what i was worth; I can't fathom it; but thank You, thank You, thank You! Please make me into someone worthy of your sacrifice!
Amen

All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to
my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:

My Poetry

http://saintjamespoetry.blog.com/

(Some) of my Devotionals

http://recoverydevotional.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home