Friday, September 09, 2005

12 Ephesians 3:17 Going the Distance

JMD Devotional 12: Ephesians 3:17,18a Going the Distance

May Christ through your faith [actually] dwell (settle down, abide, make His permanent home) in your hearts! May you be rooted deep in love and founded securely on love, that you may have the power and be strong to apprehend…

There are many ‘starters’, convinced of coming judgment, compelled to ‘flee from the wrath to come.’ But no one makes it across life’s deserts on their own steam. When God offers to bond with us in intimate relationship, it is not ‘an extra’; it is ‘an essential.’ We will not finish the race without genuine dependence on His presence and power visibly demonstrated in our lives. We can’t maintain obedience to a distant and austere distortion of God. The power to be transformed comes by embracing through faith God’s passion for your soul and His earnest desire to be with you through each trial. The only way for a mortal to really know and love The Immortal is to go through hardships together and come out on the other side renewed by communion.

Dear God,
I don’t want sentimental hog-wash to obscure reality; I don’t want to be up on stage acting if no one’s watching. If what I’m praying for does not resonate with your heart, design and desire please change both it and me! I want to know the God who made Himself known to Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses and Elijah. You’ve got my attention but I know my limitations; the road ahead is long and hard and lonely. Help me to sense our fellowship; reveal your love for me-how deep, how wide, how far and how high! (Secret love is a scandal!) Make it clear to me so my mind can be at ease and I can know for certain that I need no other person, plan or power other than what I already have in You. May my soul satisfy you and bring you pleasure.
Amen

All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to
my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:

My Poetry

http://saintjamespoetry.blog.com/

(Some) of my Devotionals

http://recoverydevotional.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home