Friday, September 21, 2007

JMD Devotional 234 Psalm 145:8,9 Unconditional Love

The Lord is gracious and full of compassion, slow to anger and abounding in mercy and loving-kindness. The Lord is good to all, and His tender mercies are over all His works [the entirety of things created].

My biggest mistake in parenting was in making my love and favor ‘conditional’. I withheld grace to my children (and spouse) when their performance slipped. That withholding creates a downward relational spiral that inspires less authentic ‘performance’ (i.e. either superficial compliance or grudging obedience) that does not contribute to a wholesome relationship. The people around me need unconditional love, free and clear of manipulative strings and prenuptial agreements. It is so counter-productive. My family needs to know that I love and accept them with no “buts”. I have to resist turning every situation into a ‘teaching’ moment; sometimes a hug and the words, “That’s O.K.”, “I accept you,” mean so much more. Right up until Judgment Day, the sun will rise upon the saints and the wicked, rain will give them a drink, the wind will cool their brow. God blesses us all every day without exception in a multitude of ways. Reflect His amazing grace in your unconditional love for others in recognition that God has expressed it to you. Take yourself out of the picture; then people will be free to respond to holiness.

Dear God,
Please restore the simplicity of unconditional love to my relationships. Help me to express Your grace and to not withhold my favor and kindness from anyone in need. May I leave judgment to You; that will come on the day You determine. Help me to lead by good example. Help me to quit trying to control people. You are sovereign and I am not: teach me my role. And thank You for loving me in my imperfection.
Amen

All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to
my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:


http://SaintJamesPoetry.blogspot.com

http://recoverydevotional.blogspot.com/

http://jamesezadventures.blogspot.com/

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home