Saturday, August 25, 2007

JMD Devotional 230 Romans 8:12-17 How I Know that I Know

Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation—but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it. For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live, because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father." The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.

Many times I’ve been accused of being ‘brain-washed’, a naïve follower of man-made religious teachings. My failures and hypocrisy has been pointed out as ‘proof’ that there are flaws in my beliefs. I am asked how can I know my God is the right one without ‘trying out’ every other ‘god’ contender? Oh, how these critics miss the point. I am drawn to God not because I’m holy but because He has made me aware of my unholiness: my sins and depravity and my spiritual poverty. I know my experience with God is real because at one time I did not care about righteousness; and now I am very concerned, in the most personal ways, about pleasing Him. This is so much more than following a creed, this is a relationship. I imperfectly follow in my Father’s footsteps; but I am following MY FATHER. He will perfect me. I do not need to keep looking because His Holy Spirit lives in me; I am not alone. I know He lives in me because I care about pleasing Him and it grieves me when I fail.

1 John 2:3-6 (NIV) We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands. The man who says, "I know him," but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But if anyone obeys his word, God's love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Dear God,
If anyone reading this lacks assurance of their salvation, please make it known to them whether they belong to You or not. May there be no doubt. Make it clear if they are trusting in Jesus’ sacrifice to atone for their sins, if He is their Lord and Master. Dad, I don’t believe that any of Your children are second-class citizens of Heaven: indelibly mark us as Your treasured possession, as family, as adopted sons and daughters in Christ Jesus. If nothing else is clear, please make this a rock-solid fact in our lives. Abba Father.
Amen

All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to
my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:


http://SaintJamesPoetry.blogspot.com

http://recoverydevotional.blogspot.com/

http://jamesezadventures.blogspot.com/

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home