Saturday, August 11, 2007

JMD Devotional 220 Psalm 25:1-5 Antidote for Shame

UNTO YOU, O Lord, do I bring my life. O my God, I trust, lean on, rely on, and am confident in You. Let me not be put to shame or [my hope in You] be disappointed; let not my enemies triumph over me. Yes, let none who trust and wait hopefully and look for You be put to shame or be disappointed; let them be ashamed who forsake the right or deal treacherously without cause.
Show me Your ways, O Lord; teach me Your paths. Guide me in Your truth and faithfulness and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation; for You [You only and altogether] do I wait [expectantly] all the day long.

Shame comes from poor choices and misplaced trust. You try something out of the ordinary and it back-fires due to unanticipated consequences. Shame exposes our ignorance, our appetites, our foolishness and depravity. Shame is such an unpleasant emotion we often mask it with anger. Shame makes us small in the eyes of others. In the beginning of my recovery, when I was overwhelmed by a mountain of shame stretching back to my childhood, with grief and regret greater than I could bear, I desperately sought for one choice I could make that would not add to my shame and reproach. I needed one principle to hang on to that would not betray me, one goal that would not prove unworthy, one relationship that was healthy, one commitment to keep even if all others slipped from my grasp. I chose to trust God. I held to it like a drowning man to a life jacket. It became a steel point that pierced the mental fog and focused my energies. I “reminded” God constantly that He said that “no one who trusts in You shall be put to shame.” This promise has carried me through Hell. Trusting God is the one thing I will never be ashamed of, the one choice I will never regret!

Dear God,
Your promise is so precious to me. To You I give my life. I invest it with all of my equity. You are worthy of my trust; You alone are faithful in a treacherous world. Committing to You is the one thing that I have certainly got right in my life. Of that; I am not ashamed. Thank You.
Amen

All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to
my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:


http://SaintJamesPoetry.blogspot.com

http://recoverydevotional.blogspot.com/

http://jamesezadventures.blogspot.com/

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home