Monday, June 18, 2007

JMD Devotional 218 Psalm 119:151,152 Nearer than My Foes

You are near, O Lord [nearer to me than my foes], and all Your commandments are truth.
Of old have I known Your testimonies, and for a long time, [therefore it is a thoroughly established conviction] that You have founded them forever.

The chief enemy of our soul does not give up territory easily. When we have violated God’s laws, and grossly transgressed Biblical boundaries we in effect give ground to Satan and let him establish strongholds in our life. Regaining control of your life and mind is a long, slow, painful process: we did not mess up our lives overnight and we do not fix them overnight: the process of recovery takes time and commitment. I can recall a low point, in the dead of night, that I had the audio hallucination of cloven feet walking through my home. Hundreds of times I bolted wide awake at precisely 3:00AM (the witching hour) with my window rattling. Weak-willed people have opposed me for no reason that I suspect were just pawns of the Devil to discourage and harass me. Evil leaves its calling card in many ways to disturb my equilibrium; probably the worst is when it makes its presence known in my spirit, in effect, saying, “I’m right here,” to harass me. But in all of these cases I need to remind myself that no matter how close any kind of evil is---God is nearer still. He is ever present. He who is within me is greater than he who is without. Satan is a defeated foe; on a short leash; under God’s ultimate control.

Dear God,
I thank You that I know why evil exists in this world; that it serves Your purpose for a time to sort out the sheep from the goats, to vindicate Your goodness, to condemn the wicked, to sharpen the contrast of right and wrong, to bring You glory in its defeat. Lord, please deliver me from evil: from its presence, power and influence. Abide in me: both Your Word and Your Holy Spirit, and help me to abide in You. You are my hiding place of safety, my security, my high tower.
Amen

All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to
my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:


http://SaintJamesPoetry.blogspot.com

http://recoverydevotional.blogspot.com/

http://jamesezadventures.blogspot.com/

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home