Saturday, August 11, 2007

JMD Devotional 219 Romans 8:1 Positive Feedback

THEREFORE, [there is] now no condemnation (no adjudging guilty of wrong) for those who are in Christ Jesus, who live [and] walk not after the dictates of the flesh, but after the dictates of the Spirit.

Let me wax technical for a moment. How many of us have listened to a speaker or musician who moved around and got his microphone too close to a speaker making the system howl? Amplifiers are good as long as they do not get too much feedback; too much turns amplifiers into oscillators. A typical application for a loud oscillator is a siren, which carries the message “get out of my way,” but beyond that carries no intelligence. Our minds are capable of amplifying details in order to get greater resolution. This is one reason why quirkiness follows intelligence; it is hard to discriminate which details to amplify and which ones to attenuate (and we usually get it wrong). Many of us have an overly sensitive conscience. It only took our parents over reacting once to a minor offense to impress our guilt for life. We also play an inner monologue to ourselves that repeat destructive messages. I get nervous every time I see a cop as if I had an outstanding warrant. The only way to get our minds to quit oscillating is to reverse the feedback and practice telling yourself the truth (constantly). The next time you feel guilty or condemned for no reason, or due to past, confessed sins, emphatically say “there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.”

Dear God,
I beat myself up and resent You for doing it---please forgive my folly! I hate myself for being a broken misfit and project that critical attitude on You as well when You really are gentle and forgiving and merciful and caring. I am so sorry for thrashing about so. You are a good dad. You are a good dad. You are a good dad. Help me, through Your Holy Spirit, to speak the truth to myself and to reject negative self-talk; because I am loved, I am loved, I am loved.
Amen

All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to
my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:


http://SaintJamesPoetry.blogspot.com

http://recoverydevotional.blogspot.com/

http://jamesezadventures.blogspot.com/

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home