Monday, February 13, 2006

95 Jeremiah 9:23-25 Do You Really Know God?

JMD Devotional 95 Jeremiah 9:23-25 Do You Really Know God?

Thus says the Lord: Let not the wise and skillful person glory and boast in his wisdom and skill; let not the mighty and powerful person glory and boast in his strength and power; let not the person who is rich [in physical gratification and earthly wealth] glory and boast in his [temporal satisfactions and earthly] riches; But let him who glories glory in this: that he understands and knows Me [personally and practically, directly discerning and recognizing My character], that I am the Lord, Who practices loving-kindness, judgment, and righteousness in the earth, for in these things I delight, says the Lord. Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will punish all who though circumcised [outwardly, in the flesh] are still uncircumcised [in corresponding inward purity]---

There is the God of our imagination (the one we think we know) and there is the true God. This clay can't help but have an imperfect picture of the All-Mighty, this finite brain can't contain the Infinite One. We can distinguish ourselves from the Pantheists and New Agers when we accept that our best source of knowledge about God is what He chooses to reveal about Himself through divine revelation, i.e. the scriptures. We need to respect the whole counsel of God, even if He offends our sensibilities. We can't change the Word to be politically correct without perverting it. The Biblical pattern of learning is that obedience comes before understanding; and faith before knowledge.

John 14:21 The person who has My commands and keeps them is the one who [really] loves Me; and whoever [really] loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I [too] will love him and will show (reveal, manifest) Myself to him. [I will let Myself be clearly seen by him and make Myself real to him.]

Dear God,
I want to know You; and to commune with You in my spirit and in absolute truth. It is so hard to let go of Sunday School pictures and childish notions that I've carried my whole life that just don't do You justice. Please reveal more and more of yourself to me as I grow up in Christ Jesus. Help me to accurately share who You are to the best of my ability illuminated by your Holy Spirit.
Amen

All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to
my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:

My Poetry

http://saintjamespoetry.blog.com/

(Some) of my Devotionals

http://recoverydevotional.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home