Monday, February 13, 2006

94 Jeremiah 9:6,7;6:27-30 Metallurgy of Misery

JMD Devotional 94 Jeremiah 9:6,7; 6:27-30 Metallurgy of Misery

9:6 Your habitation is in the midst of deceit [oppression upon oppression and deceit upon deceit]; through deceit they refuse to know and understand Me, says the Lord. Therefore thus says the Lord of hosts: Behold, I will melt them [by the process of affliction to remove the dross] and test them, for how else should I deal with the daughter of My people?

6:27 I [says the Lord] have set you [Jeremiah] as an assayer and a prover of ore among My people, that you may know and try their doings and be like a watchtower. They are all the worst [kind] of rebels and utter and total revolters against God, going about publishing slander. They are [not gold and silver ore, but] bronze and iron; they are all corrupters. The bellows blow fiercely, the lead is consumed by the fire; in vain do they continue refining, for the wicked [the dross] are not removed. Men will call them reprobate and rejected silver [only dross, without good metal], because the Lord has rejected them.

We are His workmanship, and God always tests the quality of His work. We are not, though, passive in this process: we can cooperate or hinder God's work in our lives. So much of what we become depends on how we respond to the heat being applied. Does suffering make us bitter, angry and resentful or sensible, humble and cautious? Everyone goes through hardship; but only a few come out gleaming, and those only by incredible faith.

Dear God,
Please keep reminding me that the stress, heat and pressure You keep putting me through are for my ultimate good. Were You out to destroy me, it would be too easy, and I could put up no resistance; yet sometimes I wonder. Life is HARD, BUT GOD IS GOOD. Help me not to jump to foolish conclusions, to equate right standing with You with an easy road. May your sovereign purpose in the refining process prevail, for your Kingdom and Glory, and may my faith honor You.
Amen

All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to
my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:

My Poetry

http://saintjamespoetry.blog.com/

(Some) of my Devotionals

http://recoverydevotional.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home