Saturday, October 20, 2007

JMD Devotional 252 Ephesians 4:8 Philosophical Traction

Therefore it is said, When He ascended on high, He led captivity captive [He led a train of vanquished foes] and He bestowed gifts on men.
[Reference Matthew Henry, Commentary on the Holy Bible: "He conquered those who had conquered us--such as sin, the devil, and death."]

Brace yourself for painful honesty: most of the time I do not FEEL blessed, free or victorious. I react very poorly to change; and life is full of it. It can be as petty as being resentful over cost-cutting measures taking away flavored coffee creamers at work, or as heavy as having your livelihood outsourced to Malaysia. We all crave a life of consistency and predictability; but reality inevitably throws us some curve balls. There is always the suspicion that we are being tested, and are failing the test. Concerning Job, Satan implied that Job’s good behavior was in return for God’s “setting up a hedge” around him of divine protection; not out of genuine allegiance to righteousness for its own sake. Sunday I sang to Jesus, “You are all I need,” and Monday I am angry and depressed because things are not going well at work. Has my bluff been called?

Jesus did indeed lead the things that keep people in captivity captive; but we must believe in our freedom in the deepest sense to receive this incredible gift. Each day challenges us as we grapple with our attitudes that so often revert to a worldly perspective. We must deliberately change our value system to agree with God’s Word. What does God want out of us in the midst of life’s difficulty? I believe He wants us to be patient, in the midst of trials, and to ultimately be cheerful because our persistence has exercised our faith. A cheerful, godly attitude is a great victory over the World, the flesh and the Devil. We need to really set a premium on that which cannot be taken away by circumstance. Our humble bearing is to be in contrast to how unregenerate people respond, and it thus glorifies God. Faith is the victory that overcomes the World.

John 16:33 I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world. [I have deprived it of power to harm you and have conquered it for you.]

Dear God,
Forgive my chronic faithlessness! I can be so grumpy and immature. Help me to insulate my heart from fickle circumstances; that my spirit might be more consistently positive. It does not take much to upset my balance; be my stability and refuge. May Satan have no buttons to push; may my trust be genuine and not a ‘bluff.’ Guide me to maturity in Christ.
Amen

All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to
my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:

http://www.myspace.com/jamesinpublic

http://SaintJamesPoetry.blogspot.com

http://recoverydevotional.blogspot.com/

http://jamesezadventures.blogspot.com/

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home