Saturday, October 06, 2007

JMD Devotional 242 Romans 14:1-6 Gentle Creed

AS FOR the man who is a weak believer, welcome him [into your fellowship], but not to criticize his opinions or pass judgment on his scruples or perplex him with discussions. One [man's faith permits him to] believe he may eat anything, while a weaker one [limits his] eating to vegetables.
Let not him who eats look down on or despise him who abstains, and let not him who abstains criticize and pass judgment on him who eats; for God has accepted and welcomed him.
Who are you to pass judgment on and censure another's household servant? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he shall stand and be upheld, for the Master (the Lord) is mighty to support him and make him stand. One man esteems one day as better than another, while another man esteems all days alike [sacred]. Let everyone be fully convinced (satisfied) in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord. He also who eats, eats in honor of the Lord, since he gives thanks to God; while he who abstains, abstains in honor of the Lord and gives thanks to God.

I have been in so many church settings that were harsh and overbearing to my spirit. There was so much peer pressure to abandon my own point of view and accept the prevailing twist; as if intellectual suicide and compliance made one righteous and acceptable to God. It has taken a long time to appreciate that God went to a lot of trouble to make each one of us a one-of-a-kind, a unique point of perspective. Churches and relationships split over shades of grey. In our blind zeal to preserve the ‘truth’, we trample God’s garden by adding to the Gospel. For me, it’s OK if you have a different millennial view, if we disagree on what has seven heads and ten horns, even if we disagree on what day to collectively worship or what we are allowed to eat or drink. Personally, I have very strong, well-forged beliefs, so I am conservative with regard to myself; but with regard to other people’s faith, I am liberal, knowing that I only know in part. If we accept and abide by and preserve the same Apostle’s Creed, then in my book we belong to the same Church. This is essential doctrine, the rest is open to interpretation. Be gentle.

The Apostles' Creed

I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
the Creator of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord:

Who was conceived of the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried.

He descended into hell.

The third day He arose again from the dead.

He ascended into heaven
and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty,
whence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and life everlasting.

Amen.

Dear God,
What I believe matters so much I sometimes go overboard and try to control others, to make them believe the same things. I forget how foolish I am; how much ignorance remains; what I debtor I am to the wisdom of others. My way is not the only way, and it is not all about ‘my way’ but Your Way. Help me to share the truth lovingly and gently, and leave persuasion to Your Holy Spirit. My muddy path was long and tortuous; others may have a way that is more direct, and others more circuitous, but as long as it ultimately leads to You, that’s great. I forget that it is You who lead each of us; help me to be gentle with others You are leading. May I not frustrate or confuse them; but do make me an encourager, an advocate of their salvation.
Amen

All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to
my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:


http://SaintJamesPoetry.blogspot.com

http://recoverydevotional.blogspot.com/

http://jamesezadventures.blogspot.com/

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home