Saturday, October 20, 2007

JMD Devotional 247 Ephesians 2:8-10 Harmony of Faith and Works

For it is by free grace (God's unmerited favor) that you are saved (delivered from judgment and made partakers of Christ's salvation) through [your] faith. And this [salvation] is not of yourselves [of your own doing, it came not through your own striving], but it is the gift of God; Not because of works [not the fulfillment of the Law's demands], lest any man should boast. [It is not the result of what anyone can possibly do, so no one can pride himself in it or take glory to himself.] For we are God's [own] handiwork (His workmanship), recreated in Christ Jesus, [born anew] that we may do those good works which God predestined (planned beforehand) for us [taking paths which He prepared ahead of time], that we should walk in them [living the good life which He prearranged and made ready for us to live].

I was raised with an over-emphasis of ‘salvation by faith---not by works.’ So much blind zeal was put into the separation of faith and works that ‘works’ became a dirty word, and my faith became overly cerebral. But we were saved to do good works. What I do and how I live is an expression of my faith; my works reveal what I really believe, not just what I profess. It is an expression of faith to do good for the sake of goodness alone. No hidden agenda, no ulterior motive, just random acts of kindness to others; because it pleases God and it reflects His nature. In every sense of the word, “good works.”

Dear God,
Help me to overcome evil with good, because that is Your Way. Incline my heart to do what is right for righteousness’ sake. May my faith extend past my brain to my fingers, and to my feet, and may it flow from my lips and be a part of all that I am. May I not live in contradiction to what I believe anymore. Make me a faithful witness.
Amen

All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to
my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:

http://www.myspace.com/jamesinpublic

http://SaintJamesPoetry.blogspot.com

http://recoverydevotional.blogspot.com/

http://jamesezadventures.blogspot.com/

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home