Monday, May 14, 2007

JMD Devotional 191 Habakkuk 2:13,14 How Much is Too Much ‘Water’?

Behold, is it not by appointment of the Lord of hosts that the nations toil only to satisfy the fire [that will consume their work], and the peoples weary themselves only for emptiness, falsity, and futility? But [the time is coming when] the earth shall be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord as the waters cover the sea.

Have you ever tried to water a potted plant that was so dry that the water just ran off the soil rather than being absorbed? So often I have tried to share spiritual truth to people’s hearts that were just as resistant to Living Water. I have been asked, “Can’t you just turn it off?”, referring to my discussion of the things of the Lord. I have been told repeatedly that I am obsessive, a fanatic, I over do everything, I am a broken record, give it a rest, etc. Their lives are drooping; but they only want a little religion, a sip every now and then. You will not grow rice that way. When I was in Korea, I saw the rice paddies. You have to flood the field, it has to be irrigated to the point of standing water. How much is enough ‘religion’? I think God will still be pouring it in after the ‘knowledge of the glory of the Lord” saturates this planet as “waters cover the sea.” The alternative is seeing yourself and everything you have worked for burn up in a lifeless spiritual desert.

Dear God,
Am I fanatical enough? (I think not!) I assume that Your warnings are real; that most of mankind’s work, prosperity and achievement is really only so much ‘firewood’? Give me zeal for evangelism and discipleship; may the gifts You have imparted to me be worn out with integrity like a good, honest tool used every day. Give me a winsome demeanor, a compelling testimony, an effective witness. And please hook up the fire hose…
Amen

All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to
my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:


http://SaintJamesPoetry.blogspot.com

http://recoverydevotional.blogspot.com/

http://jamesezadventures.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home