Sunday, May 06, 2007

JMD Devotional 190 Habakkuk 3:19 Progress in Rocky Places

The Lord God is my Strength, my personal bravery, and my invincible army; He makes my feet like hinds' feet and will make me to walk [not to stand still in terror, but to walk] and make [spiritual] progress upon my high places [of trouble, suffering, or responsibility]!

Habakkuk and the whole nation of Israel were shaking with fear at the spectacle of an approaching army of ruthless Chaldeans.

1:12,13 Are not You from everlasting, O Lord my God, my Holy One? We shall not die. O Lord, You have appointed [the Chaldean] to execute [Your] judgment, and You, O Rock, have established him for chastisement and correction. You are of purer eyes than to behold evil and cannot look [inactively] upon injustice. Why then do You look upon the plunderer? Why are you silent when the wicked one destroys him who is more righteous than [the Chaldean oppressor] is?

The way God was working by using a people to punish Israel who were notoriously more wicked than they was hard for Habakkuk to grasp. God tends to work in unexpected ways, and to break out of the mental box we put Him in. When we think we have God figured out, it is more likely that we have shaped a god of our own imagination; a lesser god. Suffering, pain and difficulty are absolutely essential for our spiritual development, to purge us of our superficial Sunday-school image of God and spiritual things so we can reach true maturity. Though the road is rocky and perilous, if you are gaining ANY ALTITUDE, even inching up hill, you are making significant progress. Do not settle for less!

Dear God,
My soul longs to be comfortable; but that is usually when I am stagnant or when I retrograde. Thank You for administering the medicine I need, even when I object and try to spit it out. You know what I need, and I can trust that You have my best interest at heart. Savior, like a shepherd, lead me, even through hardship and difficulty. Your will be done.
Amen

All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to
my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:


http://SaintJamesPoetry.blogspot.com

http://recoverydevotional.blogspot.com/

http://jamesezadventures.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home