Monday, April 30, 2007

JMD Devotional 180 2 Peter 1:3,4 Per diem Promises

His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires. (NIV)

In the economy of Heaven, some things draw interest (like good deeds) and others do not (like promises). God's promises were not issued to be stored, they were given to be used and used often. He knows we lack the internal and external resources to do His will; but what He has commissioned He will be faithful to amply supply. It is like going on a business trip; the per diem is meant for real, daily expenses, to be used. What promises are you claiming for the challenges at hand? How can you be claiming them if you have to look them up to recite them?

Here's what I'm claiming: (See also Psalm 58:6-8)

Psalm 57:3 (Amp) He will send from heaven and save me from the slanders and reproaches of him who would trample me down or swallow me up, and He will put him to shame. Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]! God will send forth His mercy and loving-kindness and His truth and faithfulness.

Dear God,
I take so much for granted. Though You are Omniscient, I forget that You still desire for me to come to You with each burden, to engage You in prayer, to even 'wrestle' with You when I am troubled. My relationship skills need improvement! (Especially between us). You are so much better, more approachable and more gracious than my actions give You credit for. Help me to see Your heart more clearly as it concerns me and my situations. Thank You for caring and acting on my behalf as my advocate.
Amen

All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to
my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:


http://SaintJamesPoetry.blogspot.com

http://recoverydevotional.blogspot.com/

http://jamesezadventures.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home