Monday, April 30, 2007

JMD Devotional 179 Joel 2:25-27 Good and Gracious God

And I will restore or replace for you the years that the locust has eaten-- and you shall eat in plenty and be satisfied and praise the name of the Lord, your God, Who has dealt wondrously with you. And My people shall never be put to shame. And you shall know, understand, and realize that I am in the midst of Israel and that I the Lord am your God and there is none else. My people shall never be put to shame.

In the midst of divine judgment, God stops Himself and remembers His love for the land and His vision for His people, even though they rebel and incite His wrath. God is so good He cannot help but leave blessings in the wake of destruction, and pledges to rebuild and restore what He has, for discipline’s sake, laid waste for a time. One reason is that even rebellious children are still His children. God has called us to a relationship characterized by blessing. He is good to us even though we are evil to Him. He punishes us less than we deserve.

God considers His reputation, and restrains His rebuke: Vs 17b Why should they (the heathen) say among the peoples, Where is their God? Then was the Lord jealous for His land and had pity on His people. Yes, the Lord answered and said to His people, Behold, I am sending you grain and juice [of the grape] and oil, and you shall be satisfied with them; and I will no more make you a reproach among the [heathen] nations.

Vs 21Fear not, O land; be glad and rejoice, for the Lord has done great things!

Dear God,
What a blessing it is to be referred to as one of “Your People”; a treasured possession with a special place in your heart. It begins to dawn on me how loving anything else more than You is outrageous iniquity! You are worthy of my undivided loyalty and continuous allegiance. May my enlightenment progress so that You receive my utmost passion and devotion. In the best ways, help me to live like a child of greatest privilege and royalty who has no taste for beggarly fare.
Illuminate my darkened understanding so I recognize the blessings of your fellowship and the wretchedness of any other situation. May my lips oft confess your goodness.
Amen

All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to
my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:


http://SaintJamesPoetry.blogspot.com

http://recoverydevotional.blogspot.com/

http://jamesezadventures.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home