Saturday, June 17, 2006

125 Ruth 4:6-10 Lock, Stock and Barrel

JMD Devotional 125 Ruth 4:6-10 Lock, Stock and Barrel

The Law of Moses had provision for selling land, which was done to get out of debt; but the sale was never permanent, for the land was deeded to a particular tribe, and lineage and family. People had the right to ‘reclaim’ and buy-back ancestral property. Boaz had the right to redeem what belonged to Naomi’s and Ruth’s former husbands; but he was not first in line, there was a closer kinsman. So at the city gate (where business was conducted), Boaz approached this kinsman in the presence of the city elders and presented the matter. At first, the kinsman was eager to obtain the land; but Boaz reminded him that in purchasing the land he would have responsibility to take care of the widows Naomi and Ruth as if they were his own family.

Vs 6-10 And the kinsman said, I cannot redeem it for myself, lest [by marrying a Moabitess] I endanger my own inheritance. Take my right of redemption yourself, for I cannot redeem it.
Now formerly in Israel this was the custom concerning redeeming and exchanging. To confirm a transaction, a man pulled off his sandal and gave it to the other. This was the way of attesting in Israel. Therefore, when the kinsman said to Boaz, Buy it for yourself, he pulled off his sandal.
And Boaz said to the elders and to all the people, You are witnesses this day that I have bought all that was Elimelech's and all that was Chilion's and Mahlon's from the hand of Naomi. Also Ruth the Moabitess, the widow of Mahlon, I have bought to be my wife to restore the name of the dead to his inheritance, that the name of the dead may not be cut off from among his brethren and from the gate of his birthplace. You are witnesses this day.

God redeems us lock, stock and barrel; with all strings attached, all of our baggage in tow, at the cost of His own dear Son. He doesn’t buy us back and put us up in a trailer on the outskirts of town; He brings us into His Mansion, adopted, bearing His name, married into His family, integrated into His kingdom forever. We are intimate with God; our future is all about our life together, for now and forever more; because He took the risk, paid the price, went the distance and took us as His own.

Dear God,
I praise You! I worship You because of your great and comprehensive salvation with which You have saved me to the uttermost! There is no deficiency, nothing left out, no part left uncovered, I’m completely “in” Christ. You have restored all that was dead in my life…glory to God in the highest! May there be no reservation in my response of giving of myself completely to You; no division of my loyalty or allegiance, no turning back to glance at what was left behind in Egypt. The only thing that matters is our life together, You are EVERYTHING!
Amen

All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to
my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:

My Poetry

http://saintjamespoetry.blog.com/

(Some) of my Devotionals

http://recoverydevotional.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home