Monday, April 10, 2006

116 Jeremiah 23:23,24 Spiritual Potential

JMD Devotional 116 Jeremiah 23:23,24 Spiritual Potential

GODISNOWHERE

Am I a God at hand, says the Lord, and not a God afar off? Can anyone hide himself in secret places so that I cannot see him? says the Lord. Do not I fill heaven and earth? says the Lord.

What did you first see in the phrase GODISNOWHERE with the letters all run together? Most people see ‘GOD IS NO WHERE’ rather than ‘GOD IS NOW HERE’. God is, of course, ever present; but we must exercise our faith to acknowledge that truth and to make it real for where we are. The implications are:

>when I feel like God is far away, He is really close; I need to reel in my feelings and stand on the authority of the Scriptures and cling to a rational faith in a caring, accessible and personal Father.

>when I fear a dark presence is threatening; I need to assert that God is greater, and that light extinguishes darkness!

>when I am overwhelmed by difficulty; I need to remind myself that He will never fail nor forsake me, especially at my moment of need!

In my first job as an Electronic Technician, I went on a field trip with my boss. He had to change the bulb on the top of a radio tower, and I had to install some equipment in the radio shack at its base. We each wore a wireless headset transceiver that was voice-activated (VOX) to keep us in touch. After thirty minutes he was startled to hear me say “DAMN!” followed by a few other expletives. I had pinched my thumb between an iron bar and piece of equipment; and I forgot the VOX was on. How might our speech and actions improve were we to remember that our VOX with God is always on?

Dear God,
Paul was right on target when he asserted that You were not out of reach; but that in You ‘we live and move and have our being.’ Help me to grasp the significance of your presence in my daily life. Please make ‘mundane’ idiomatic and ‘routine’ significant because You are in everything and thus everything is potentially spiritual.
Amen

All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to
my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:

My Poetry

http://saintjamespoetry.blog.com/

(Some) of my Devotionals

http://recoverydevotional.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home