Thursday, March 16, 2006

108 Psalm 130 How to Approach God

JMD Devotional 108 Psalm 130 How to Approach God

OUT OF the depths have I cried to You, O Lord. Lord, hear my voice; let Your ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications. If You, Lord, should keep account of and treat [us according to our] sins, O Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You [just what man needs], that You may be reverently feared and worshiped. I wait for the Lord, I expectantly wait, and in His word do I hope. I am looking and waiting for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning, I say, more than watchmen for the morning. O Israel, hope in the Lord! For with the Lord there is mercy and loving-kindness, and with Him is plenteous redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all their iniquities.

When approaching the Almighty one's posture has a definite effect on the outcome.

2 Samuel 22:25-28 (NIV) The LORD has rewarded me according to my righteousness,
according to my cleanness in his sight. "To the faithful you show yourself faithful, to the blameless you show yourself blameless, to the pure you show yourself pure, but to the crooked you show yourself shrewd. You save the humble, but your eyes are on the haughty to bring them low.

There is a process in approaching God that must include a recognition of one's own unfitness before the Holy Judge. The 'fear of the Lord' is the beginning of wisdom because the contrast of His righteousness and our depravity should strike terror in our heart, leading to repentance.

John 6:37 (AMP) All whom My Father gives (entrusts) to Me will come to Me; and the one who comes to Me I will most certainly not cast out [I will never, no never, reject one of them who comes to Me].

Dear God,
I know what it is like to be rejected by other people; sometimes it has been deserved, other times it was not; but it always hurt. The pain of being branded 'unclean' and 'unwanted' bent me double,
and as an outcast I had no friends competing for my attention. How wonderful it is to have so much misery humble my soul, correcting my posture and focusing my desire on You! Your Holy Spirit not only had the welcome mat out, but You rolled out the red carpet! I was ready to accept crumbs from your table but you slew the fatted calf and proclaimed a feast! Amazing grace! You leave me speechless! THANK YOU!
Amen

All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to
my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:

My Poetry

http://saintjamespoetry.blog.com/

(Some) of my Devotionals

http://recoverydevotional.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home