Thursday, March 16, 2006

112 Hebrews 11:1,2 Dynamic Faith

JMD Devotional 112 Hebrews 11:1,2 Dynamic Faith

NOW FAITH is the assurance (the confirmation, the title deed) of the things [we] hope for, being the proof of things [we] do not see and the conviction of their reality [faith perceiving as real fact what is not revealed to the senses]. For by [faith--trust and holy fervor born of faith] the men of old had divine testimony borne to them and obtained a good report.

Belief and faith are the most underestimated and misunderstood words in the Bible. In ancient times, and in ancient languages, much more was implied than today's mere 'intellectual assent'. Look at some of the phrases that this chapter uses to highlight the 'roll-call' of faith:
>by faith we understand...
>prompted (actuated) by faith...
>because of faith....
>without faith it is impossible...
>urged on by faith...
>aroused by faith...
>motivated by faith...
>passed the test of faith...

There are a lot of actions that accompany faith. I can sense some independent Baptists foaming at the mouth already, saying, "don't make faith a work or you'll corrupt salvation!" But the whole counsel of God includes:

James 2:14-19 (NIV) What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do. You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

The belief and faith that the Bible speaks of, that the Amplified Bible always parenthetically follows with ('trust-in, cling-to, rely-on'), represents a conviction that changes your way of life. God is not casual about ANYTHING. If your faith doesn't cause some motion, consume some energy and generate some friction-induced heat, could it lack a heartbeat?

Dear God,
I may be often wrong; but I pray that there be no question of my allegiance to You! Please continue to motivate and inspire me to put my faith into action, to face great challenges and to yearn for and aspire to a greater expression of my devotion to your Kingdom. May my passion get in sync with your heartbeat and will for my life.
Amen

All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to
my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:

My Poetry

http://saintjamespoetry.blog.com/

(Some) of my Devotionals

http://recoverydevotional.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home