Saturday, June 17, 2006

121 Job 31:1-4, 11,12 Covenant with My Eyes

JMD Devotional 121 Job 31:1-4, 11,12 Covenant with My Eyes

Job 31:1 I DICTATED a covenant (an agreement) to my eyes; how then could I look [lustfully] upon a girl? For what portion should I have from God above [if I were lewd], and what heritage from the Almighty on high? Does not calamity [justly] befall the unrighteous, and disaster the workers of iniquity? Does not [God] see my ways and count all my steps?
Vs 11,12 For [adultery] is a heinous and chief crime, an iniquity [to demand action by] the judges and punishment. For [uncontrolled passion] is a fire which consumes to Abaddon (to destruction, ruin, and the place of final torment); [that fire once lighted would rage until all is consumed] and would burn to the root all my [life's] increase.

Everyone has an inner monologue. We talk to ourselves constantly, but is our conversation uplifting and constructive? Do you know you have the responsibility to steer, direct and 'bridle' your thoughts and impulses? Job cared so much about his personal integrity that he made a covenant with his eyes. It is too late to draft an agreement with yourself when you are in the throws of temptation; this must be considered in advance and revisited periodically to have any strength and substance. King David also spoke positive affirmations that reinforced godliness in his life:

Psalm 101:1-4 (NIV) I will sing of your love and justice; to you, O LORD, I will sing praise.
I will be careful to lead a blameless life— when will you come to me? I will walk in my house
with blameless heart. I will set before my eyes no vile thing. The deeds of faithless men I hate;
they will not cling to me. Men of perverse heart shall be far from me; I will have nothing to do with evil.

Dear God,
I long to make godly covenants with myself that I can keep, that honor You and keep me pure. Past experience says I'm a failure, I'm unreliable and my word is worthless: I am a compulsive promise breaker. I acknowledge that in my own flesh, I can do nothing; I appeal to You to work in me an integrity that is based on Your sufficiency rather than my feeble powers. It really is all about You, You in me, your strength, your rule, your glory. Retrain my mind to crave and seek after holiness.
Amen

All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to
my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:

My Poetry

http://saintjamespoetry.blog.com/

(Some) of my Devotionals

http://recoverydevotional.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home