Monday, April 10, 2006

117 James 1:19-24 Magic Mirror

JMD Devotional 117 James 1:19-24 Magic Mirror

Understand [this], my beloved brethren. Let every man be quick to hear [a ready listener], slow to speak, slow to take offense and to get angry. For man's anger does not promote the righteousness God [wishes and requires]. So get rid of all uncleanness and the rampant outgrowth of wickedness, and in a humble (gentle, modest) spirit receive and welcome the Word which implanted and rooted [in your hearts] contains the power to save your souls. But be doers of the Word [obey the message], and not merely listeners to it, betraying yourselves [into deception by reasoning contrary to the Truth]. For if anyone only listens to the Word without obeying it and being a doer of it, he is like a man who looks carefully at his [own] natural face in a mirror; For he thoughtfully observes himself, and then goes off and promptly forgets what he was like.

Imagine a high-tech vanity mirror that is really a flat screen monitor and a camera, that would doctor your image, and touch up your blemishes and would display just what you want to look like rather than your actual appearance. There are people who would pay good money for that! Such a 'mirror' would result in, of course, people walking around oblivious to the smeared makeup on their faces, messy hair, crusty eyes, etc. Clever technology that appeals to our vanity; but would such a 'mirror' really be doing anyone a service?

The Word of God shows us how we really are. Such naked truth is often hard to bear; but it brings humility and repentance; it prompts cleansing and attention to detail. Our responsibility is to gaze intently into it. We have to, because our memory is short, our flesh fights redemption, in the absence of God's guidance we are prone to deception from within and without. Unless the Word is fixed before our eyes our mind returns to its old ruts of futile thinking and behavior.

I have forgotten what the mirror of God's word has said of me...
>when I cuss and swear in traffic
>when I hate someone for being rude
>when I judge another's weakness
>when I spoil my witness with froward (vulgar) conversation
>when pride takes control
>when my rights matter more than the needs of others

Dear God,
Help me to remain conscious of my true condition without You so that I continue to abide in Christ. I acknowledge that apart from You I can do nothing; that in my flesh is no good thing; apart from you is a man of utter depravity. I praise You for the difference You make in this person. Please keep my mind sober and focused on our relationship. May I not sin by living independently of the Truth, your Holy Spirit or my godly accountability.
Amen

All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to
my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:

My Poetry

http://saintjamespoetry.blog.com/

(Some) of my Devotionals

http://recoverydevotional.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home