Monday, April 18, 2011

Recovery Devotional 318 The Idolatry of 'Respectability'

JMD Devotional 318 2 Samuel 6:14-16,20-23 The Idolatry of ‘Respectability’

14-16 And David danced before the Lord with all his might, clad in a linen ephod [a priest's upper garment]. So David and all the house of Israel brought up the ark of the Lord with shouting and with the sound of the trumpet. As the ark of the Lord came into the City of David, Michal, Saul's daughter [David's wife], looked out of the window and saw King David leaping and dancing before the Lord, and she despised him in her heart.

20-23 Then David returned to bless his household. And [his wife] Michal daughter of Saul came out to meet David and said, How glorious was the king of Israel today, who stripped himself of his kingly robes and uncovered himself in the eyes of his servants' maids as one of the worthless fellows shamelessly uncovers himself! David said to Michal, It was before the Lord, Who chose me above your father and all his house to appoint me as prince over Israel, the people of the Lord. Therefore will I make merry [in pure enjoyment] before the Lord. I will be still more lightly esteemed than this, and will humble and lower myself in my own sight [and yours]. But by the maids you mentioned, I will be held in honor. And Michal the daughter of Saul had no child to the day of her death.

For years I sang praises to God with my hands in my pockets; though in my heart I wanted to raise them above my head. What held me back? The fear of man, conformity, idolatry. It is idolatry to esteem the opinion of mere men above worshipping God, to hold back to maintain one’s ‘respectability’. Holding back to preserve one’s ‘image’ is grasping a graven image indeed! It is foul! Reprehensible! Abdominal reasoning. We quench the Holy Spirit and then wonder why we lack joy.

Dear God,
Who am I trying to impress, who am I striving to please? Are white-washed tombs and dead men standing worthy of my subservience? Forgive my idolatry and iniquity; may nothing rival my love and dedication for You. Let me be an utter fool in their eyes for Christ’s sake. Unclog the fountain of joy. Holy Spirit, take control, have free reign, express Yourself in me. May my body as well as my mind engage in worship and praise; to the glory of God.
Amen


All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

I originally produced these blogs between 2006 and 2007, which were then published in my book, JMD Recovery Devotionals. In 2010, I am sending these out to a few people as I review them and see if my point of view has changed.

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:

http://jamesdinsmoreblogs.blogspot.com/

Christian, devotional, recovery, addiction, purity, faithfulness, integrity

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home