Thursday, March 08, 2007

JMD Devotional 145 1 Corinthians 1:9-13 You Can't Franchise the 'Truth'

God is faithful (reliable, trustworthy, and therefore ever true to His promise, and He can be depended on); by Him you were called into companionship and participation with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. But I urge and entreat you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you be in perfect harmony and full agreement in what you say, and that there be no dissensions or factions or divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in your common understanding and in your opinions and judgments. For it has been made clear to me, my brethren, by those of Chloe's household, that there are contentions and wrangling and factions among you. What I mean is this, that each one of you [either] says, I belong to Paul, or I belong to Apollos, or I belong to Cephas (Peter), or I belong to Christ. Is Christ (the Messiah) divided into parts? Was Paul crucified on behalf of you? Or were you baptized into the name of Paul?

Whenever I am in a witnessing situation to a lost soul I find the need to address the damage other 'witnesses' have left. Since I was not there, I do not know which approach they used; but I can tell from the impressions left behind that they had:
>Criticized other faiths, denominations
>Implied that their way was the only right way
>Were manipulative, controlling, coercive
>Made unrealistic promises (sold snake-oil cure-all)
Every Christian witness should read and reread C.S. Lewis's Mere Christianity to learn the essence of the Gospel. When we criticize our fellow faiths, we paint a picture of a dark world with baffling nuances apparently designed to keep relatively 'good' people out of the heaven club. It is an insult to God and His workmanship in every nation, language and culture. I would never say 'all roads lead to God'; but I would say that even the pagan religions have some element of truth and to deny that is to shut out road markers that point to Christ. The story of redemption is told many ways; but the Bible tells it best. Present a positive message free from bashing any other group; focus on what Christ Jesus has done for you. You and I are not supposed to be forcing converts to be our disciples; but to encourage others to answer Christ's personal call to follow Him in ways we have no knowledge of.

Dear God,
I do not claim to do it well; but I want to. Please make of me a faithful witness, presenting a message that is right, wholesome, and effective. Most people will not respond to the truth, so bear witness with my spirit that I am doing the right thing when I obey You in this.
Amen

All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to
my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:


http://SaintJamesPoetry.blogspot.com

http://recoverydevotional.blogspot.com/

http://jamesezadventures.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home