Saturday, March 03, 2007

JMD Devotional 141 2 John 1:9 Treacherous Sprint

Anyone who runs on ahead [of God] and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ [who is not content with what He taught] does not have God; but he who continues to live in the doctrine (teaching) of Christ [does have God], he has both the Father and the Son.

How might one run ahead of God? Could we make 'being in Christ' an initiation rather than a daily walk (reality)? Could we be a 'living sacrifice' that only offers certain cuts of meat; and that only at the time and circumstance of our own choosing? Could we be annoyed at the people who keep being placed in our path because they are detours to our own agenda? (Not our 'target' ministry?)

Luke 9:23-25 (NIV) Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?

Some fear that their 'personality' will dissolve and dilute in the sea of conformity to Christ; but only in Christ will your best self come out. There is a lot of our old selves that has to die and stay dead; only on these terms will new life, UNIQUE, godly attributes emerge and blossom; the REAL YOU!

2 Corinthians 5:14,15 (NIV) For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.

We can be sure of not running ahead of Christ when we live for Him and let Him lead our lives. Centered, abiding, deeply rooted and communing with our Lord is where we need to be; it takes the greatest faith to entrust the REST of our lives to one Lord, one Faith, one Baptism.

Dear God,
Where do I tend to run ahead of You? Please reveal even the ugly truths so I can repent. Do I consistently resist and resent the opportunities that You place in my life? Do I dismiss divine appointments in favor of my other plans? Please don't let me persist in fooling myself only to be shocked at judgment day to how off target I was!!! Correct me NOW, I beg of You. I'd rather suffer up front and end right.
Amen

All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to
my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:

http://SaintJamesPoetry.blogspot.com

http://recoverydevotional.blogspot.com/

http://jamesezadventures.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home