Saturday, March 03, 2007

JMD Devotional 140 Proverbs 16:32 Reactive Armor

Proverbs 16:32 He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, he who rules his [own] spirit than he who takes a city.

There is a kind of tank armor with explosives built into it; the premise is that it is better to blow off the impact of an anti-tank rocket along with the armor than to absorb the brunt of its assault. I know that I sometimes go around 'primed' with a 'hair-pin trigger'; the least little thing will set me off; but this does not become a saint. It is the downside of being a passionate man, of caring too much and in the wrong way, and of carrying too much baggage.

James 1:19, 20 Understand [this], my beloved brethren. Let every man be quick to hear [a ready listener], slow to speak, slow to take offense and to get angry. For man's anger does not promote the righteousness God [wishes and requires].

Proverbs 25:28 (NIV) Like a city whose walls are broken down is a man who lacks self-control.

Having been to four or five anger management classes, I know that counseling, self-talk, 'time-out' and psychological techniques only go so far. There are some things only God can do in my heart; and I just need to humble myself and express faith in supernatural actions that I cannot understand or control. Prayer changes things; primarily ME.

Galatians 5: 22, 23 (NIV) But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and SELF-CONTROL.

Dear God,
Anger is a great motivator; but I often do not know how to direct this energy into something constructive. Please help me not to lay trip-wires and land mines on my relational ground. Forgive me for the many times I have blown my stack; and heal me and my relationships. May the life of the Vine flow into me; may I depend on your power manifested in my life to make me what I cannot be on my own; please give me self-control as I abide in You.
Amen

All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to
my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:

http://SaintJamesPoetry.blogspot.com

http://recoverydevotional.blogspot.com/

http://jamesezadventures.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home