Wednesday, February 28, 2007

JMD Daily Devotional 129 Proverbs 10:17 None of us Live in a Vacuum

He who heeds instruction and correction is [not only himself] in the way of life [but also] is a way of life for others. And he who neglects or refuses reproof [not only himself] goes astray [but also] causes to err and is a path toward ruin for others.

Our behavior has ramifications beyond our own soul. How would you interpret a road sign that said "Do as I say and not as I do?" We are a book that people read every day; the faith we identify with is judged on every level and by all of the signals we broadcast. We can't get out from under the responsibility of 'being our brother's keeper'; we are helping or hurting others see Jesus by how we live. It has been said that there are only six degrees of separation for every person on earth; the effect of our attitudes, words and choices can be far-reaching indeed!

Dear God,
What a sobering responsibility it is to contemplate my connection to every other human being who crosses my path! Lord, I don't want to be a drain, a discourager, Mr. Negative. I really don't want to add to my shame going forward; to confuse or deceive; to turn people away from You because my nature turns them off. Please continue to transform my mind; perfume my spirit; make my countenance to be glad again for what I have in Christ Jesus: make me 'good advertising' for your kingdom by your presence shining forth in me. It is that or completely isolate me where I can do no more harm (but I am certain that is not your way!) Keep me securely in your way.
Amen

All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to
my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:

My Poetry

http://saintjamespoetry.blog.com/

(Some) of my Devotionals

http://recoverydevotional.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home