Sunday, May 22, 2011

Recovery Devotional 352 Ducking the Call

JMD Devotional 352 Exodus 4:10-14a Ducking the Call

And Moses said to the Lord, O Lord, I am not eloquent or a man of words, neither before nor since You have spoken to Your servant; for I am slow of speech and have a heavy and awkward tongue. And the Lord said to him, Who has made man's mouth? Or who makes the dumb, or the deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? Is it not I, the Lord? Now therefore go, and I will be with your mouth and will teach you what you shall say. And he said, Oh, my Lord, I pray You, send by the hand of [some other] whom You will [send]. Then the anger of the Lord blazed against Moses…

The world reserves its praise and glory for the best, the cream of the crop, the top of the heap: this is where they look for stars, for leadership, for the next ‘American Idol’. However, the Way of God turns the world upside down. With the war on terror going on, there is hardly a televised marathon in which there are not a few contestants with one or more artificial limbs. Cameras are not drawn to them because they are in first place, or even in the front half of the runners. They might come in dead last; but their finish is triumphant! Even the lost world recognizes the glory of the human spirit in overcoming physical impediments and great difficulties. We know that Spirit more perfectly; but when it comes to God’s call upon our own life our tendency is to shrink back, to make excuses, to point out better candidates, to focus on our deficits. God knows exactly who and what He wants to use for His glory. His strength is made perfect in our weakness.

Dear God,
Make me aware of the times I have been like Moses, resisting Your call in my life. Bring me back to the Burning Bush, and help me to rise to the task, to step out in faith, to trust in You to provide everything service requires. Thank You for concealing potential glory in all of us.
Amen


All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

I originally produced these blogs between 2006 and 2007, which were then published in my book, JMD Recovery Devotionals. In 2010, I am sending these out to a few people as I review them and see if my point of view has changed.

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:

http://jamesdinsmoreblogs.blogspot.com/

Christian, devotional, recovery, addiction, purity, faithfulness, integrity

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home