Friday, March 18, 2011

Recovery Devotional 287 Unbreak My Heart

JMD Devotional 287 1 Kings 8:56-62 Un-break My Heart

Blessed be the Lord, Who has given rest to His people Israel, according to all that He promised. Not one word has failed of all His good promise which He promised through Moses His servant.
May the Lord our God be with us as He was with our fathers; may He not leave us or forsake us,
That He may incline our hearts to Him, to walk in all His ways and to keep His commandments, His statutes, and His precepts which He commanded our fathers. Let these my words, with which I have made supplication before the Lord, be near to the Lord our God day and night, that He may maintain the cause and right of His servant and of His people Israel as each day requires,
That all the earth's people may know that the Lord is God and that there is no other.
Let your hearts therefore be blameless and wholly true to the Lord our God, to walk in His statutes and to keep His commandments, as today. And the king and all Israel with him offered sacrifice before the Lord.

Something is distorted when I resent my benefactor.
Someone is lost when I leave home.
Something is broken when the scales have tipped and favor evil for good, pleasure over principle, vice over virtue and the physical over the spiritual.

Dear God,
Unbreak my heart! My mind seems perfectly capable (of deceit), the mechanistic part of me functions just fine; but oh my heart! Sometimes everything is out of proportion. Does not light excel darkness? Utter depravity prefers the darkness; negative impulses pull to self-destruction. It is my heart that has been broken all along; though I have blamed so many other things. My mind is not me anymore than my body is me: but my heart…oh God help me! Only Your Spirit tames the heart; only Your Holy Influence lifts it up to wholesome purity. Incline my heart to hear and obey, to love Your way. Forgive me for loving the wrong things; and for not loving what is good. Unbreak my heart, God.
Amen


All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

I originally produced these blogs between 2006 and 2007, which were then published in my book, JMD Recovery Devotionals. In 2010, I am sending these out to a few people as I review them and see if my point of view has changed.

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:

http://jamesdinsmoreblogs.blogspot.com/

Christian, devotional, recovery, addiction, purity, faithfulness, integrity

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home