Thursday, March 10, 2011

Recovery Devotional 279 Inverse of the Golden Rule

JMD Devotional 279 Obadiah 1:15 Inverse of the Golden Rule

For the day of the Lord is near upon all the nations. As you have done, it shall be done to you; your dealings will return upon your own head.

Pagans call it the ‘Law of Karma’; the notion that any evil action done to another will ultimately boomerang back upon one’s self. People stumble upon truth all of the time, every religion and doctrine was founded on some fragment of truth: all truth is God’s truth whether people recognize the Author or not. God is sovereign and righteous; and though actions and consequences may be separated by a period of time, judgment will come.

Proverbs 21:13 (AMP) Whoever stops his ears at the cry of the poor will cry out himself and not be heard.

Proverbs 11:21 (AMP) Assuredly [I pledge it] the wicked shall not go unpunished, but the multitude of the [uncompromisingly] righteous shall be delivered.

Proverbs 17:5 (AMP) Whoever mocks the poor reproaches his Maker, and he who is glad at calamity shall not be held innocent or go unpunished.

Proverbs 19:9 (AMP) A false witness shall not be unpunished, and he who breathes forth lies shall perish.

Dear God,
Men cry out for a judge when they are wronged, they want justice when transgressed; but much of the ‘rightness’ we profess is false. My ‘innocence’ does not hold up to cross-examination: I do not have the stomach to face Your court. Forgive my pride; and help me to not judge others, but to have mercy. Without the righteousness of Christ I am doomed! Help me to fear Your righteousness, and to regard the plight of the less fortunate. May I not have to learn all of my lessons the hard way; may grace abound.
Amen


All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

I originally produced these blogs between 2006 and 2007, which were then published in my book, JMD Recovery Devotionals. In 2010, I am sending these out to a few people as I review them and see if my point of view has changed.

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:

http://jamesdinsmoreblogs.blogspot.com/

Christian, devotional, recovery, addiction, purity, faithfulness, integrity

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home