Sunday, April 08, 2007

JMD Devotional 168 Ezekiel 11:17-21 Irreconcilable By Choice

Therefore say, Thus says the Lord God: I will gather you from the peoples and assemble you out of the countries where you have been scattered, and I will give back to you the land of Israel.
And when they return there, they shall take away from it all traces of its detestable things and all its abominations (sex impurities and heathen religious practices). And I will give them one heart [a new heart] and I will put a new spirit within them; and I will take the stony [unnaturally hardened] heart out of their flesh, and will give them a heart of flesh [sensitive and responsive to the touch of their God], That they may walk in My statutes and keep My ordinances, and do them. And they shall be My people, and I will be their God. But as for those whose heart yearns for and goes after their detestable things and their loathsome abominations [associated with idolatry], I will repay their deeds upon their own heads, says the Lord God.

The scriptures were not given to reach 'perfect people'; but to aid chronic back-sliders, misguided and wayward sinners, to the ignorant and willful, to misfits, to apparent failures and outcasts. (Who we all are without God's influence). Regardless of how many times we fail and fall God offers reconciliation if we will but turn to Him. Don't minimize the critical importance of that 'turn' (repentance, changing your mind about your sinful path), for if you refuse God's program of change and transformation you have indeed cast off God and there is no other remedy for your condition. Like in a broken marriage; the relationship can be fixed if both parties are willing to work at it. God is willing...

Dear God,
Why do I push against the fence and try to escape when You care for my every need in your pasture; and only wolves and cliffs and poisonous plants are without? This dumb sheep always thinks the grass is greener; but the weeds make me sick. I long to be 'free'; but I end up stumbling in a blinding fog and falling on sharp stones. When I get away from your presence, I am harassed by biting flies: only the oil You pour on my head protects me and heals those wounds. Please transform my heart and mind so that I agree with your will and your way; may I cooperate rather than resist your grace. May I embrace your boundaries that are established for my welfare. Thank You for the goodness You long to share. Help me to trust You with everything, My Shepherd.
Amen

All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to
my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:


http://SaintJamesPoetry.blogspot.com

http://recoverydevotional.blogspot.com/

http://jamesezadventures.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home