Monday, April 02, 2007

JMD Devotional 162 1 Timothy 6:6-10 Mark of Satanic Influence

But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

My daughter Christine has been reading through Jerry Bridges, 'The Pursuit of Holiness' and recently brought up this point: "Discontentment is Satanic." It is a stunning thing to hear; but the more I contemplate it the more I believe it. Too bad Madison Avenue; the goal of so much advertising is to make us discontent with what we have so we desire something new. You might of woke up reasonably content; but after an encounter with a crafty pitch-man or ad everything you possess is now rubbish.

At different low points in my life; especially when I'm under a lot of stress; I find it all too easy to be dissatisfied with my life, my work, my marriage, my church, virtually everything around me. But being dissatisfied with life points an accusing finger at God. And when I catch myself wondering how I might of faired with another; what kind of spouse am I? (Unfaithful at heart!) Am I so conceited to really believe that if everyone at Church thought like me the world would be won and Christ could come home early? The reality is that if I am unhappy with virtually everything around me the problem is with me; my heart and passion have been displaced from an unfailing God-centered obedience to a self-willed and self-centered position of iniquity. We buy the Satanic lie because it agrees with our distorted ego. True joy is found in appreciating what you have as a gift from God, and letting God decide how much and when and where it is given.

Dear God,
I thank You for the witnesses you have placed into my life; especially for the apt word spoken by my daughter, Christine. You know how close I get to self-destruction; of wanting to throw in the towel: thank You for having mercy on my lame reasoning and for drawing me back from rocky cliffs. Renew my mind; help me to appreciate the little things and all the ways You bless me every day. May I render the praise fitting to your kindness to me.
Amen

All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to
my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:


http://SaintJamesPoetry.blogspot.com

http://recoverydevotional.blogspot.com/

http://jamesezadventures.blogspot.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home