Friday, May 06, 2011

Recovery Devotional 336 Rescue Me!

JMD Devotional 336 Psalm 143 Rescue Me!

1-2 HEAR MY prayer, O Lord, give ear to my supplications! In Your faithfulness answer me, and in Your righteousness. And enter not into judgment with Your servant, for in Your sight no man living is [in himself] righteous or justified.
[Lord, I (James) cannot come to You in my own righteousness, You know what a sham that is. I acknowledge that I fall so far short of Your standards; but I come anyway, as a needy man.]

3-4 For the enemy has pursued and persecuted my soul, he has crushed my life down to the ground; he has made me to dwell in dark places as those who have been long dead. Therefore is my spirit overwhelmed and faints within me [wrapped in gloom]; my heart within my bosom grows numb.
[It would be easier to take out my enemy if he had a sword and spear; but in reality, the enemy is usually within. My enemies are gross insecurities, low self-worth, volatile emotions, unbridled passions, loneliness and rejection. It is hard to get along with other people when I am so broken up inside. My intensity and neediness chase everyone away. Right now, it is just too hard to be me.]

5-6 I remember the days of old; I meditate on all Your doings; I ponder the work of Your hands.
I spread forth my hands to You; my soul thirsts after You like a thirsty land [for water]. Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]!
[My troubled soul has always and only found its satisfaction in You: the nearness of God is my good. I am dying of thirst, Lord! Give me living water! Hold this trembling man: comfort me.]

7-8 Answer me speedily, O Lord, for my spirit fails; hide not Your face from me, lest I become like those who go down into the pit (the grave). Cause me to hear Your loving-kindness in the morning, for on You do I lean and in You do I trust. Cause me to know the way wherein I should walk, for I lift up my inner self to You.
[What I lack in personal resources I make up in faith: it is the only currency I have. I believe that You are loving and gracious, and will not turn me away in my need. Receive this wretched man!]


Dear God,

9-12 Deliver me, O Lord, from my enemies; I flee to You to hide me. Teach me to do Your will, for You are my God; let Your good Spirit lead me into a level country and into the land of uprightness. Save my life, O Lord, for Your name's sake; in Your righteousness, bring my life out of trouble and free me from distress. And in your mercy and loving-kindness, cut off my enemies and destroy all those who afflict my inner self, for I am Your servant.
[Destroy my dysfunction, heal my inner man].
Amen


All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

I originally produced these blogs between 2006 and 2007, which were then published in my book, JMD Recovery Devotionals. In 2010, I am sending these out to a few people as I review them and see if my point of view has changed.

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:

http://jamesdinsmoreblogs.blogspot.com/

Christian, devotional, recovery, addiction, purity, faithfulness, integrity

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home