Friday, December 21, 2007

JMD Devotional 263 Ephesians 6:23,24 Acid Test

Peace be to the brethren, and love joined with faith, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One). Grace (God's undeserved favor) be with all who love our Lord Jesus Christ with undying and incorruptible [love]. Amen (so let it be).

There is a pop song from our secular culture that goes, “I thought it was love but it’s over…”, that reflects the prevalent confusion over just what love is. All too often it is used as a synonym for sex, a strong ‘like’ or infatuation. The ‘love’ manufactured by the world is a very selfish love, as evidenced in half of all marriages ending in ‘no-fault’ divorce. The same sad phrases are used as ‘justification’ for dissolution: “we drifted apart” (i.e. quit caring for each other’s needs), “irreconcilable differences” (i.e. two selfish and unyielding individuals), “incompatibility” (i.e. my mate does not accept my unfaithfulness). ‘Love’ has been so diluted and misused that we need to use an array of adjectives so it will be clearly understood when we are talking about the real thing. There would be no need for ‘true love’ if it were not for ‘false love’. The acid test for love is self-sacrifice. If under pressure it dies or corrupts, it was never genuine love at all. If a recipient’s rejection or misuse of the love given to them causes the lover to change (and thus corrupt their love) it was not true love. Like a gift; it really was not a ‘gift’ if it is taken back because certain conditions were not met; no, that defines payment, a contract and expectations: a ‘prostitution’ of love. Love is only true love if it is given unconditionally with no strings attached and no expiration date and no disclaimer.

Dear God,
So many times I have loved to be loved, which was not true love at all. My neediness has fostered manipulative tactics and relational suicide again and again. I cannot love You or anyone else like I ought to without being filled with Your love (Agape). I’m too selfish, desperate and wanton! It has all been about me (it makes me feel sick to admit this). How can You love me where I am, retched and undeserving? Apart from You I am NOTHING. You see me as I was, as I am and how I will be, fully matured in Christ: how I wish I could get a glimpse of that glory we will share! My rags will turn to riches, pure and clean and radiant because of You in me. Put me through whatever misery is required to refine the dross out of my soul so that in the end my love is Your love through and through.
Amen

All (but*) quotes are from The Amplified Bible, published by
the Lockman Foundation. (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
*New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
**Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group. (Eugene Peterson's easy-to-read, contemporary Scripture translation)

If you know of someone who would like to subscribe to
my daily devotional, please forward.
jamesdinsmore_32907@yahoo.com
Short, concise, thought-provoking.

More features:


http://SaintJamesPoetry.blogspot.com

http://recoverydevotional.blogspot.com/

http://jamesezadventures.blogspot.com/

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home